My first post for the NEW YEAR was to be my peanut soup - but as I've lamented on my facebook page, both the times I made it were for parties not hosted by me and it got eaten up well before I could remember to take my clicks - But by golly, I will make it again anon and will present it with the aplomb it deserves. But for now let me feast your eyes and senses to this mind blowing raita.
When I first tasted this in Delhi at my sister's house, I was blown away by the color of it - So beautiful and the taste was no less incredible - That very moment, I had resolved to make this once I got back home. While it has taken me months to get to it, I finally did it and it was, as I'd predicted, a huge hit with friends and family alike. This is a killer dish to brighten any dinner table, its rich color at once brightening the table and the eyes of those that lay sight on it.
What you need:
- 1 big beet grated very finely or pureed
- 1 carton (32 oz) of yogurt - I used Dannon PlainYogurt
- For garnish
- 1/2 tsp of fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 spicy green chili finely chopped
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 1tsp of oil to pop and sautee the above
- Peel and puree (or) finely grate the beet - I chose to do the latter
- Pour the yogurt into a serving dish and whip it to make it smooth
- Add the beets and whisk it it
- Watch the magic of the beautiful rose color engulf the bowl :)
- Saute the seeds and chili and mix it into the raita
- Refrigerate until time to serve
- *Garnish with cilantro if desired.
- Serve with aromatic pulao like I did
Enjoy and will be back soon with another yummy recipe - yup- the peanut soup