What do you do when you have a sweet craving? Sometimes you give in and go the whole nine yards and make something with what you’ve got. Thus came about this banana upside down cake. I has several super ripe bananas – hate those btw – and the only way I could imagine having them was in either a bread or with this recipe, in a cake. I used a recipe that I’d already tried out for the cake and just added the caramelized bananas…
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1.5 cup all purpose flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 4-6 ripe bananas
- 3-4 tbsp Demerara sugar
- Preheat oven to 350
- Butter a 9 inch pan (I used pyrex)
- Cut bananas lengthwise and arrange neatly on the bottom of the pan
- Sprinkle the Demerara Sugar generously over the bananas
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixer
- Add eggs 1 at a time
- Then the flour with the baking powder
- Mix until it s a creamy batter (don’t over mix)
- Pour the cake batter evenly over the bananas making sure not to disturb the arrangement.
- Bake for about 30 -35 minutes or until the top of the cake is golden.
- Cool it before loosening the sides of the cake
- Gently invert on to a cake holder.
- The bananas should look glazed, caramelized and delicious.
- Enjoy by itself of with a dollop of vanilla ice-cream.